About

Welcome to Pusat Tingkatan Enam Katok's Official Website.
For more information, please e-mail ptekmediaict@live.com

Kendo Club - Exposed in Katok!

Kendo. The way of sword. According to Collins Dictionary, it is a Japanese form of fencing using wooden staves. As you knockers know, the Kendo Club is very popular in the college and also, it had attracted the juniors to join this self defense club. Me as an administrator to this blog has gained interest to know what this club really is as I saw them trained the other day and I used my spare time to approach this club, which is after my classes for the day of course! =) 

As I come into the multi-purpose hall, which is their training area, I was introduced to another whole new culture. I have to open my shoes and leave it outside the hall as to give respect to the so called "dojo*" (a place where they train) which is the multi-purpose hall. This also coincide with the Japanese Culture of entering a house where we have to open our shoes. As a matter of fact, I came at the right time as the Kendo club were electing their new president effective on June. I observed the Kendo Club members having a meeting in the "dojo*", forming a circle and supposedly, they were divided between senior masters in Kendo and beginners. There were plenty of friendliness in the air, also a bonding between the members and many shoutings as well since its a self defense club.
Having a meeting in a circle
Unaware that I was there, I approached the teacher incharge of Kendo Club, Miss Faizah from English Department to interview her. She was wearing a blue Kendo uniform, known as the "Gi-Hakama*" where she explained to me that "Gi*" is the shirt in Kendo while the "Hakama*" is the pants. The time of training for the Kendo Club starts at 2:30 and lasted to 4:30ish every Tuesdays and Thursdays and usually, there is an instructor also known as "Senpai*" training the students. 

I asked her whether there are levels in Kendo which are supposedly similar like Tae Kwon Do's or Karate's belts, and she explained to me that no levels are being introduced in training in Brunei as there are so little certified instructor in Brunei. The nearest place for Kendo members to be graded is either in KL or KK! Imagine that! There are also different names being used in Kendo which is the "Qyu*" for beginners and "Dan*" for the professionals.  

Ali and Asyraf showing their Kendo pose
After the interview with Miss Faizah, I observed the Kendo Club members and my level of curiosity increased as they applied a series of bows. I managed to get an exclusive interview with the Senior President, Junior President and the Vice President of Kendo Club and also, had a photo session with them outside the Multi-purpose hall. The Senior President known as Ali from AE 11 explained to me a little bit about Kendo and commented that it was the most diciplined art in Brunei and then, the Junior President, Asyraf from BE 10, who just got elected agreed to show some Kendo moves to me.

You would have noticed that they are holding wooden swords right? Apparently, since it is the way of sword, it uses alot of sword like 'armaments'. They used "Shinai*" which is bamboo stick and is commonly used for training. Another type of sword is called "Bokken*" which is used for doing "kata*" and is quite dangerous if not used properly. "Bogu*" is the armour that protect Kendo fencers being hit badly. The presidents had also told me that, the "shinai*" should not fall down during handling as it shows disrespect for the art. This incident would be called as "haya suburi*" and it is one of the symbols of etiquette. I seriously wish that I can explain everything here, but you readers can just check this link below out as its 100% about Kendo. 
 
Senior President, Ali, showing a defense move


Adri, the Vice President of Kendo Club in PTEK being interviewed by me.
Then, I managed to interview the Vice President, which is Adri, and he explained to me how Kendo training is like. Firstly, the members enter the "dojo*" in our case - the multi purpose hall and gather round. After dividing themselves into groups between seniors and juniors, they give the first bow to the "dojo*" to give respect of the place that they're training at. Secondly, the members then bow to the seniors (if any) and lastly, face the "show man" which is usually the flag of brunei but in PTEK's case, its the sign on the stage. After that, the training begins. When the training stops, they do the same ways of bowing to end the training session. 

There you go knockers, a long expose of Kendo Club in Pusat Tingkatan Enam Katok. I would like to thank the Kendo Club members and teacher in charge, Miss Faizah, for giving me time to interview you guys in such short notice. Thanks again and good luck in the world of Japanese wooden fencing! *bow*
* Sorry if there are mistakes to the spellings of the Japanese words, Thank you!
* I also would like to apologize if there are any misleading informations here

Leave a Reply